How Fast Does Hair Grow? At Kam Hair and Beauty Salon in Lossiemouth
At Kam hair and beauty salon in Lossimouth our expert stylist’s separate fact from fiction to bring you all you need to know about how your hair grows and at what speed.
Factors such as genetics, nutrition and hormones can play a big part in how your hair grows, however the average human head has over 100,000 hair follicles that grow at the rate of around ½ an inch per month or 0.35mm a day! During pregnancy women often say that their hair feels thicker and often has a glossy look thanks to the extra hormones charging about!
The science behind your hair explained at top Lossiemouth hair salon
When the hair starts to grow it starts from tiny pockets in the skin called follicles and as it grows up from the root it feeds from the blood vessels that are scattered around the scalp. The hair follicle is made up from stem cells and as you create more and more cells this allows for the hair to be pushed through the skin.
A strong protein named keratin makes up the hair shaft itself and when it eventually pops through to show on the scalp, the hair is already dead, which is why you can’t feel anything when you get your hair cut!
Each individual hair strand is made up off three layers. The medulla, cortex & cuticle, both the cortex & the medulla is where pigment is held, giving hair its colour.
Why does hair only grows to a certain length?
Ever wondered why your hair just won’t grow any longer? You have regular hair cuts and conditioning hair treatments to look after it yet it still will not grow beyond a certain length!
Often we all have a certain hair length that beyond which, the hair simply will not grow thanks to the size and shape of our hair follicles. Round follicles grip the hair better so have a better chance of growing hair longer while flat hair follicles are often associated with shorter hair lengths.
As your hair grows and gets longer it also gets heavier until the follicle gets too heavy to hold and sheds the hair. Don’t panic though – it will grow another!
How to grow your hair faster and longer – tops tips from Kam hair salon in Lossimouth
Although we know we can not make our hair grow past the length it wants to, we can encourage it to grow. Follow these top hair growth tips from the hair experts at our Lossimouth hairdressing salon.
• Eat a rich diet including protein, zinc and iron
• Take supplements to help nourish your follicles and encourage hair growth
• Use a gentle shampoo that gently exfoliates the scalp
• Regular haircuts – although this will not make your hair grow faster it will prevent breakage therefore increasing length.
What causes damage to my hair?
The team of skilled hairdressers at our Lossimouth hair and beauty salon suggest that to avoid damage to your hair follow these simple steps.
- Avoid shampoos and hair styling products that contain silicones as they degrade the hair and cause hair breakage.
- Avoid the continued use of heated appliances as they may weaken and break the hair shafts.
- Avoid chlorine as it can soften the hair and result in it feeling dry so should be avoided.
- Have regular haircuts to help strengthen and maintain a healthy head of hair.
- Only use professional hair care products that suit your hairs natural type and texture to help strengthen the hair.
Visit the hair experts at Kam hair and beauty salon in Lossimouth
If you would like more advice on how your hair grows and how best to take care of it call 01343 812325 to book an appointment. Check out our offers page where we have big discounts on last minute hair and beauty appointments at our hair and beauty spa in Lossimouth.